inXile Entertainment was formed in late 2002 by Brian Fargo, a founder of Interplay Productions (known for games such as Fallout, The Bard's Tale, and Wasteland) . The company is located in Newport Beach, California.
While pitching his idea for a "snarky" version of the classic fantasy role-playing game The Bard's Tale at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Brian commented that he felt as though he was in exile — hence the company's name. After assembling a team, he directed work on the new The Bard's Tale - now a console-style action adventure game based on the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance engine - throughout 2003.
The new Bard's Tale was released for the PlayStation 2 (PS2) and (Xbox) in October 2004, with a Microsoft Windows version following in 2005.
On December 20, 2006, it was announced that InXile Entertainment gained console rights for the game Line Rider. It was expected to be released on Nintendo's Wii console and the Nintendo DS in Spring 2007. The games did not make that release date, however, the company claims to be planning a "next gen action adventure" game that has not yet been named. On March 20, 2007, Codemasters announced a new criminal/bank heist action game titled Heist (video game). inXile Entertainment is attached as the developer so this game may have been the unnamed "next gen action adventure" game revelation. Codemasters announced on the 28 January 2010 that the game had been "terminated".
On February 16, 2012, it was announced that, inspired by Double Fine's recent success using Kickstarter to fund their new classic adventure game, InXile as well plans to have a crowd funded production of a new Wasteland game (named Wasteland 2). Project director Brian Fargo has reassembled all three key team members from the original Wasteland: Alan Pavlish, Michael A. Stackpole and Ken St. Andre. Composer Mark Morgan, who created the soundtracks of Fallout and Fallout 2, was also hired to compose music for the game.
In March 9,2012 inXile announced that Andrée Wallin joined the team as a concept artist for Wasteland 2.
Games by InXile Entertainment[edit | edit source]
- The Bard's Tale (PC/Xbox/PS2) (2004)
- Line Rider (2008) (Flash/Silverlight/DS/Wii/iOS)
- HEI$T (2010) (cancelled)
- Fantastic Contraption (2008) (Flash/iPhone/iPodTouch)
- Super Stacker (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
- Super Stacker 2 (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
- Shape Shape (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
- Super Stacker Party (2010) (PSN)
- Hunted: The Demon's Forge (2011) (Playstation 3, XBOX 360, PC)
- Choplifter HD (2012) (Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)
- Wasteland 2 (2013) (PC)
References[edit | edit source]
- The Wasteland Ranger HQ-Grid Front Desk
- GET IN, GET OUT, AND GET AWAY WITH THE CASH AS CODEMASTERS ANNOUNCES HEI$T.. Codemasters (20 March 2007). Retrieved on 2007-03-20.